Created By: ODHS
This listed Grade II C18 building has probably spent a good deal of its life as a successful grocery store. The 1891 Census has Thomas T Coles living at No 9, as a grocer and wine merchant, with his wife and family. As both Thomas's father, Benjamin Coles (1795 - 1855), and grandfather, Daniel Coles (1762 - 1827) were Olney grocers is is conceivable that No 9 had been in the family for some years.
The 1910 Revenue Survey indicates that, although Thomas Coles still owned the property, he had moved into Springfield House, a rather large property in Yardley Road (now known as Broomfield, a residential home).
Lewis Thompson ran the business at this time as a Provision Merchant. The 1910 Survey also shows that Lewis Thompson owned some 22 houses/cottages in the town. This was the same, previously mentioned, Mr Thompson, who had the 'New Hall' built for concerts, meetings and dancing; later to become Olney's cinema. Mr Thompson retired to 'Ivy Cottage' a large house in Midland Road.
The shop was later managed by national grocers 'International Stores' for some years until probably the rapid growth of supermarkets in the surrounding large towns. This store together with the Co-op store across the road were arguably the two most successful grocers in the town during the 1950s.
In the 1980s the shop was managed by building societies including the Woolwich Bank for some 30 years or so, whilst the remainder of the building was given over to offices and healthcare facilities. In recent years the shop has operated as a successful 'modern' gift store called 'The Nest at No 9'.
Continue walking up the street to the junction with Spring Lane.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Olney High Street - Heritage Trail