Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This is another building from the original Wyckoff estate. It was built in 1900 as a gatehouse and had a large greenhouse connected to it at the northwest elevation. The building was probably dissociated from the estate and remodelled for residential use around 1912. The first residents included Ellen Canfield, an instructor of physical education at Cornell, and John Stambaugh, a student.
The windows are among the most interesting features on this eclectic building. They include a combination of casements, bay windows, and Palladian windows all with quarrels (small diamond-shaped panes).
A walk along Lodge Way reveals other remnants of the Wyckoff estate. The small house at the corner of Lodge Way and Heights Court (at 10 Lodge Way) was originally a tool shed for the estate. At 8 Lodge Way, well-hidden in the summer time behind foliage and fencing, is a small Classical Revival home that was formerly a carriage house.
Wyckoff sold the main house--a large Colonial Revival mansion--to the Phi Kappa Psi fraternity in 1915. The building was sold in the 1960s to the Highland Building Company, which demolished it and built the brick apartment complex one sees on the site today.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Cornell Heights Historic District Driving Tour