Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
105 Main - Cutting Edge / Dobler & Brown’s Meat Market
This building, built after the 1916 fire, was a meat market owned by Hafner and Crocki when it was bought by Matt and Richard Dobler in 1933. It was equipped with a slaughterhouse so all butchering could be done on site. The meat was hung in a walk-in cooler to be processed after being properly aged. The cattle hides were cleaned, salted and stored in the little hide house until the hide buyer made his rounds to purchase them. The basement of the shop is where the grinding of meat, making of sausage, and curing of bacon and hams was done, as well as the making of headcheese, liverwurst, and barrels of sauerkraut.
In 1948 Marvin Brown became Richard’s partner and the business was called Dobler and Brown. It remained that until the shop was closed.
In later years the building housed a plumbing and heating store, a parts store, a storage space, Marnie’s Beauty Salon. The Cutting Edge now occupies the building.
More details are provided in Ellendale’s 125th History Book, on page 18.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City - Copy (Backup made @ 12:30 PM June 20)