Legendary dancer, Broadway actress, and silent-film star Irene Castle lived in this large Tudor Revival style home in the early 1920s. At the time she was married to Robert E. Treman, a businessman from the prominent local family and director of Treman, King, and Co., a wholesale and retail dealership in hardware and sporting goods. Known as Greystone, the house was designed by John van Pelt of New York City and built in 1913. Treman bought the house in 1919, the year he married Castle, whom he had courted aboard a steamer on a return trip from Europe. In 1924, shortly after his marriage broke up, Treman sold Greystone to the Sigma Chi fraternity, which has occupied the house ever since.
Castle first came to Ithaca in 1916 to film the solent movie Patria, a patriotic wartime serial. She rented a house in Cornell Heights, where, to the delight and amazement of the neighborhood children, she was seen strolling in riding breeches with a monkey on her shoulder, or riding a horse-drawn sleigh and wrapped in furs.