Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This house, which combines Colonial Revival and Queen Anne-style features, is one of the earliest houses in the district. It was built on speculation as residential rental property sometime between 1899 and 1902. It was designed by Clinton Vivian, one of Ithaca's leading residential architects and a social friend of many of the district's early residents.
The family of Frank A. Barton occupied the house from sometime after 1909 through the 1950s.
Barton--for whom this street and Barton Hall at Cornell were named--was a professor of military science and tactics.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Cornell Heights Historic District Driving Tour