Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This house is a hybrid, like many in the district, combining features of the Prairie and Craftsman styles. It was built in 1912 for Frederick W. Owen, professor of mathematics at Cornell, and was occupied from the 1930s through the 1980s by the family of Samuel Whitman, an engineer for the Cayuga Rock Salt Company.
A one-story wing projecting from the rear facade features a glass-enclosed greenhouse. The front facade is striking for its banded window clusters, particularly the multi-pane leaded glass casement windows set high on the wall adjacent to the main entrance.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Cornell Heights Historic District Driving Tour