Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
This block has had a drug store since Ellendale’s earliest years. E.F. Bodle and C.M. Axtell were partners until Bodle retired in 1907. In 1909, the original Bodle building (which was on the north side of the street) became the Lyric theater, which operated there for a season and then relocated on the south side of the street. In 1910, Axtell joined with A.R. (Roe) Amphlett and the store (located for a time in the Holte building on the south side of the street) was known as Axtell-Amphlett.
The big 1916 fire destroyed nearly everything on this block. Axtell-Amphlett operated out of the Hotel Ellendale until they completed their new store on the north side of the street. Amphlett purchased the Axtell interest in 1920 and was the sole owner until his death in 1949. His son, Owen, then became the manage until the franchise was sold to Norm Glarum in 1955. Gerald Mell managed the store from 1958-1961, when it was sold to John Anderson and the name changed to Anderson Drug.
John (Jack) Beringer came to work for Anderson in 1971 and bought the business in 1975. Beringer operated the Drug Store until it closed in 1998.
In October 1986, Thomas Ulmer of Fullerton purchased the Clinic Pharmacy from Dorothy Hansen. He worked out of the clinic for 10 years. In 1996, Ulmer purchased the Anderson Drug files from Jack Beringer and started Ellendale Pharmacy. The business provides residents with a prescriptions, and a wide variety of over-the-counter products, cards, gifts, candy, film developing and dry cleaning.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City - Copy (Backup made @ 12:30 PM June 20)