Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This beautiful brick Italiante home was built in 1869. Notable are the cast iron hoods and sills around the windows, the scrolled wood brackets of the portico, the dentils (tooth-like ornamentation) of the cornice, and the cupola. It was built for Albert Philips, a tailor and purveyor of men's clothing. Only three years later it was sold to William Wykoff, a major producer of Remington typewriters and manager of secretarial schools whose son was a developer of the Cornell Heights neighborhood. A third family, that of hardware store and agricultural warehouse owner Clement T. Stephens, owned the building into the 1930s.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St John Historical Walking Tour