Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Built in 1832 or 1833 on property purchased from Simeon DeWitt, this residence incorporates both Federal and Greek Revival details. The stepped gable is common to Federal structures in row-house situations, where it served as a fire stop between connected buildings. The near absence of windows in the east and west facades indicates that the builder may have expected additional residences to go up adjacent to this one. The use of brick was unusual for this period in Ithaca's history, though the brick work is not easily seen because it is painted. Bricks placed vertically above each window form a lintel in a typical Federal pattern.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District