Created By: Matt Postal
Kohn Pedersen + Fox, planner of Hudson Yards, built 1325 Sixth Avenue in 1989. Designed in a style that alludes to the Austrian Secession movement in early 20th century Vienna, this twin towered office building contains an especially handsome yellowish marble lobby (with Jeff Koons sculptures) and a silvery skylit arcade connecting 53rd and 54th Streets. Located mid-block, behind the Hilton, between Sixth and Seventh Avenues, this elegant vaulted arcade is part of a series of pedestrian passages now officially known as 6 1/2 Avenue. While the quality of design varies immensely, these interior and exterior walkways (from 51st to 57th Street) offer a pleasant break from some of Manhattan's busiest avenues.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Post-Modern Manhattan: West 50s + 60s