Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
139 Main – True Value Hardware
Following the fire of 1916, all of the destroyed buildings were replaced except the for the one that occupied this spot. Instead, a vacant lot stood in the shadow of the large Lynde Chrysler Garage (now the Sanford Health Clinic).
Ellendale has always had more than one hardware store. The first Coast to Coast Store in Ellendale opened in 1945 in the west business section of the Opera House block. Owner and operator Ted Griffin sold the business to Don and Ruth Ludtka in May of 1949.
The Ludtkas sold out to Cal Diede in November 1972, and the Diedes moved the store to this long empty spot. Donald (Butch) Middlestead purchased the business in 1994. In 2002 the store became the True Value and has operated under that franchise since.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City - Copy (Backup made @ 12:30 PM June 20)