Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
The Tupper barn was built ca. 1890 as part of Theo Tupper's 100-acre farm. Note the large gambrel roof, a modification made to many American barns after the Civil War. This roof shape, as opposed to the gable roof, created a much larger volume, allowing for more hay storage. The primary uses of this barn were hay and machine storage on the first floor and animal stalls in the basement. Like many other early twentieth century Tompkins County farms, the Tupper Farm produced multiple farm products: milk, poultry, and wool.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Barns of Tompkins County