Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This barn, associated with the Dane Emerson Bed & Breakfast on the same property, was built in 1906 by Frank Snyder. Snyder graduated from Cornell University with a degree in mechanical engineering and served as an officer in the Coast Guard during the Spanish American War. He built it as a "show barn" to house horses and a small herd of cattle. This was essentially a gentleman's farm which kept him occupied after his retirement. Notice that the barn is built into a bank, which allowed carriages to access the first floor, while animals would access the stanchions in the basement directly from the meadow behind.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Barns of Tompkins County