175 Britannia

Britannia Village History

175 Britannia

Ottawa, Ontario K2B 5X1, Canada

Created By: Douglas T Stiff

Point of Interest Details

This heritage property was built in 1904 by the Murphy Brothers (see Murphy House below) and occupied by Emma Murphy. The Murphy family were early year-round residents of Britannia Village. The Murphy Brothers constructed many of the architecturally distinguished residences and cottages in the region. The proposal for its heritage designation, which was granted in the late 1990s, notes:

“The structure is an example of the Shingle Style, which is rare in Ottawa. The sophisticated design is distinguished by the large semi-circular opening on the second level, surrounded by a radiating pattern of wood shingles and by the deeply recessed entrance porch on the ground level. The dramatic composition of planes, voids and geometric shapes within a front-gable volume is crafted with simple materials and forms... [The structure] reinforces the traditional qualities of the early building stock of Britannia.” (City of Ottawa, 1996)

This point of interest is part of the tour: Britannia Village History


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.