Created By: Oswego PorchFest
This house was once the lesser of town houses on the estate of Swits Conde. In the late 1890's Swits owned a large knitting mill and employed nearly 1,000 people. He was one of the wealthiest men in NYS.
The house now located at 53 W Seneca St. was built for his eldest son (Tom Churchill Conde) upon his marriage around 1905. This house was originally positioned about 60 feet north and turned 90 degrees to the left of where it sits today. It was moved to where it sits today around 1915 as part of the disillusion of the estate after the death of the Father Swits and later Mother Apama.
The second house (mansion) on the estate was that of the parents and was on the N.E. Corner of W Seneca and W 5th Sts. It was unlike any other architecture
This point of interest is part of the tour: Oswego PorchFest 2016