Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This Greek Revival building was constructed around 1835 for James C. Hyatt. After Hyatt, the property was owned by prominent local lawyer George Beer, then by Horace Mack (whose father was the first owner of the stone house at 115 Green St). Beginning in the early 20th century the home was rented, before being sold to Frank and Mary Bangs in 1949. Since then it has been used as a funeral home.
The orignal portion is the western half (the front-gabled section with the "Bangs Funeral Home" sign). The porch was added by 1888. The eastern half, with its bay front and hipped roof, was added in the first decade of the 20th century. The original portion is Greek Revival, but later additions draw from the Italianate and Queen Anne style, integrating them nicely into the original structure.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St John Historical Walking Tour