207-209 West Green Street

The Henry St. John District Historic Walking Tour

207-209 West Green Street

Ithaca, New York 14850, United States

Created By: Ithaca Heritage


This Greek Revival building was constructed around 1835 for James C. Hyatt. After Hyatt, the property was owned by prominent local lawyer George Beer, then by Horace Mack (1867-1932; whose father was the first owner of the stone house at 115 Green Street). Beginning in the early twentieth century the home was rented, before being sold to Frank Bangs (1892-1970) and Mary Bangs (1890-1956) in 1949. Since then it has been used as a funeral home.

The orignal portion is the western half (the front-gabled section with the "Bangs Funeral Home" sign). The porch was added by 1888. The eastern half, with its bay front and hipped roof, was added in the first decade of the twentieth century. The original portion is Greek Revival, but later additions draw from the Italianate and Queen Anne styles, integrating them nicely into the original structure.

This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St. John District Historic Walking Tour


Leave a Comment



Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide



Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.