Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
This final home is notable for for its two distinct phases of contruction. It is a two-and-a-half-story wood frame house originally built ca. 1845 in the Greek Revival style but radically expanded and remodeled in 1885 in the Stick style. The cross gabled roof is slate, with a high gable dormer. All gables are decoratively trussed with open stickwork and incised Eastlake-style bargeboards.Note that one of the south-facing gables extends down only to the top of the first story, where it is supported by decorative brackets.The shed-roofed one sotry porch has a small reflecting balcony above it.The door surrounds are one of the few surviving Greek Revival elements, though the sidelights have been replaced with stained glass. The carriage house in the rear features original embossed metal shingles and triangular gable dormers.
This property was part of a tract owned by the Treman family, who were one of the most important families in early settlement and development of this region, and who lent their name to Robert Treman State Park, Allen Treman State Marina, and the Village of Trumansburg. This property was sold to Levi Newman, a boat builder, and his wife Mary in 1864, though they were already living in the house at the time. Jared Newman (whose mother was a Treman) lived with his relatives in the house while a Cornell student in the 1870s. Jared would go on to help develop the Cayuga Heights neighborhood and become mayor of Ithaca.
In 1885 Levi and Mary sold the house to Jared's parents, Isaac (a railroad bonding commissioner and town assessor) and Cornelia. It was they who hired a builder to expand the existing house. The house was passed on to Jared, who sold it in 1897.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St John Historical Walking Tour