Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This two-and-a-half-story house of frame construction was built prior to 1851 in the Greek Revival style. It is rectangular in plan, with two additions to the west and a small shed-roofed addition on the south façade. It has a wide cornice with returns on the primary façade. The ornate entryway stands out, with its eared molding, deeply recessed door, and fluted Ionic columns.
The property was bought by John Northrup (1821-1909) in 1852. The house may have been built for him shortly beofre the purchase. Northrup was a businessman who owned Northrup & Sons, which sold a variety of items including mattresses and sewing machines. The family owned a number of properties in this area.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St. John District Historic Walking Tour