Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
241 Main - Evergreen Place / Ellendale Hospital / Site of Original Courthouse
The space now occupied by Evergreen Place was the site of the first Dickey County courthouse, which was erected in 1884-85. The building served not only the legal purposes of a courthouse, but was used for a wide variety of public events, including receptions, dances, roller skating, and even athletic practice.
The large new courthouse, on 2nd St. N., was built in 1911-12. In 1916 the Presbyterian congregation purchased the original building and disassembled it for the lumber.
In 1952, the fruits of a six-year quest were realized, as the doors were opened for the Dickey County Memorial Hospital. The hospital had 21 beds and the base charges were $8.00 per day. In 1958 air conditioning was installed in each room. In 1973 a major remodeling job was completed.
In 1995 the hospital closed its doors. Since then the building has functioned as an assisted living center.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City - Copy (Backup made @ 12:30 PM June 20)