Created By: Ithaca Heritage
These Italianate houses were built between 1871 and 1873 on property owned by Joseph Lyons.
The tall, narrow windows capped by round arches and/or bracketed architraves; the wide, overhanging eaves; and particularly the decorative brackets supporting them are characteristic features of the style, which was popular between 1840 and 1885.
The cupola on No. 309 is also characteristic, as are the low-pitched roofs on three of the houses.
The house at No. 313 combines a mansard roof with other Italianate features and is a good example of the Second Empire style. The style was derived from the French architecture during the reign of Louis Napoleon and was popular in the United States from 1860 to 1880.
The houses at No. 317 and No. 319 were built on speculation by Lyons and sold at auction. No. 313 was built for John E. Van Natta, a carpenter.
Source: Historic Ithaca, Inc.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower East Hill Historic District