Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
The house had Eastlake detailing when it was built in 1890. William Henry Miller remodeled it in 1894, combining Queen Anne features like the tower with Colonial Revival details including the paired Doric columns on the porch and Palladian window in the main gable.
The lion’s head medallion on the second story also makes this house significant. It is repeated inside the house on the original dining room table and chairs.
The house was built for Charles G. Hoyt, a cobbler. Hoyt sold the house in 1902 to George Livermore, who founded Ithaca Gun Company. Livermore’s son Paul gave the house to the Ithaca Community Chest (now the United Way of Tompkins County) in 1952.
The carriage house behind the main house is more elaborate than many houses built in the 1800s.
Source: Historic Ithaca, Inc.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower East Hill Historic District