Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Of these joined buildings, 4 Washington Street is the older structure, built circa 1835. The transitional Federal/Greek Revival-style home was the residence of the John McLallen (1773-1844) family, tied by marriage to Abner Treman (1761-1823) and significant in the early commercial life of the village. The connected building at 6 Washington Street may have been built in 1871, when a fire destroyed a hotel at the site. The joined properties were then known as the Phoenix House hotel. Currently the two structures are apartments popularly known as the "Heartbreak Hotel."
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Village of Trumansburg