Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Another example of the Stick/Eastlake style that was popular during Henry St. John's development, this ca. 1870 home is notable for its steeply pitched roofs, lace-like molding around the cornice lines, and the decorative brickwork and corbelling on its north chimney. The property also features a Gothic Revival-style carriage house.
Like a number of other houses on this block, 405 Albany was built by local developer Charles Titus. It was sold to his sister-in-law and her husband, Louisa and Joseph Sprague, in 1874, although the Spragues did not live at 405, but in the grander house at 412 Albany. They sold this property in 1881 to Pliny Hall and William Teeter, a grocer and businessman.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Henry St John Historical Walking Tour