Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Built around 1875, this brick house is an example of the Italianate style prevalent in the mid- to late 1800s. Characteristic details include a wide overhanging cornice with modillions, tall, thin windows, prominent sills with curved brick window ornaments, metal cresting at the top of the hipped roof, and a double front door with transom above it. The raised basement is also a typical Italianate feature, as is the square, blocky shape. From 1881 to 1927 this home was owned successively by two Ithaca mayors, or presidents, as they were called until 1888.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District