Created By: Ithaca Heritage
This house was built in 1908 and combines features of the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles. Queen Anne elements include the asymmetrical facade with corner tower and wrap-around porch, and the stained glass on some of the first story windows. Colonial Revival elements include the Palladian window on the dormer and the slender Doric columns on the porch.
The house was built for Mrs. Esther E. Cornell, widow of Alonzo B. Cornell. (Ezra Cornell, the founder of Cornell University, was Alonzo's father.) Mrs. Cornell lived here until about 1920.The house was subsequently occupied during the 1920s, 30s, and 40s by the family of Harry J. Van Valkenburg, a proprietor of the Ithaca Engraving Company.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Cornell Heights Historic District Driving Tour