Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Only three families have occupied this house, which was built in 1864. This may explain why the house has retained all its original Greek Revival elements including the front-facing gable, the two story, three bay structure, and the off-center doorway framed by sidelights and transom window.
Several houses on the block show similar stylistic origins, although most of them have been remodeled and are not as “pure” as this one. (See for example the houses at 424 and 408 East Seneca Street.)
The house at 427 East Seneca Street (opposite Stop 21) has some Greek Revival features, however, the elliptical fanlight over the door, the twelve-over-twelve sash in the first story window, and the modillions along the cornice are more typical of the Federal style, which predated Greek Revival in popularity. The house was built in 1830; the two-story ell section was added in 1919.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower East Hill Historic District