Created By: Ithaca Heritage
The Fir Farm barn was built by the Shaffer family ca. 1880. The foundation stone was quarried on the property. The barn was used for raising sheep as well as grain and hay storage. The Shaffers secured their draft horses to the metal tie rings in the foundation, which are still in use. From 1923 to 1991, the barn was owned by the Williams dairy across the road and used for hay and grain storage. Today, the barn stores equipment for the Fir Farm, which produces Christmas trees, ornamental trees, and shrubs.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Barns of Tompkins County