Created By: Ithaca Heritage
William Henry Miller designed the house for Henry Sage’s sister, Caroline B. Wood. The house was built in 1886.
Miller used brick on the first story and shingles on the second story. There are three kinds of spindlework on the streetside porch, and the porch’s orientation accommodates a right-angle entry, which was one of Miller’s favorite devices.
Wood occupied the building until 1910. It was subsequently used as an annex to the student infirmary, next door, and later as Cornell’s Environmental Health Laboratories.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Lower East Hill Historic District