Created By: Coleman Memorial Museum
67 1st Ave S. - Ellendale Community Center / Redlin Implement
This modern building was built to house a new and ambitious undertaking by a South Dakotan who shortly after the War decided that his best opportunities lay in the Ellendale area. His name was Ralph Redlin. Redlin bought P.A. Christensen International Harvester dealership (which was located on the present site of Brandenburg Park), in 1946. Redlin and his brother Earl built this modern structure in 1947 and dedicated it in early 1948.
The spacious tile building, with large glass areas, was 82 x 96 feet in size. A warehouse 40 x 100 feet was added to the east side. The display room was 25 x 58 feet, the parts department, 24 x 44, and four offices occupied the main part of the building west of the shop. The general shop was 50 x 82 feet, and a paint shop addition 18 x 24 feet. A tool room adjoined the office quarters. In addition to the farm equipment manufactured by the International Harvester Company, the electric refrigeration units made by this company were also handled. They also had the agency for the Pontiac automobile line. Later they sold and repaired Allis Chalmers and New Holland equipment
In addition to running the IH business, Ralph Redlin was active in investing and farming. He purchased the remaining Baldwin farms in the mid 1950s, and engaged in actual farm-related work. Tragically, he and his wife Ruby were killed in a truck accident while delivering grain to Duluth, Minnesota in June 1959. The Redlin family continued the business until 1965, when they sold it to Livy Hird, and it operated under the name of Hird’s Implement. Earl remained very active in business and community leadership, as well as state politics.
In 1977 The City of Ellendale purchased the building, and moved the Fire Department from City Hall into the spacious rear area. The office and showroom space in front became the location of the new Community Center, which included a kitchen and dining area. In 1978 the City Library was moved from City Hall, where it had been located since that building was constructed in 1914. Ellendale’s first library had been located in the Opera House
(Much of this information is from Ellendale 125th Book, p. 41.)
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ellendale - Tour of the Core City - Copy (Backup made @ 12:30 PM June 20)