Created By: Ithaca Heritage
The A.J. Teeter Farm was established in 1847 and is the oldest family farm in the Town of Ithaca. Alan and Debbie Teeter, along with their children are the 5th and 6th generations to farm this land. They manage the farm's 180 acres organically, growing hay on much of the acreage and raising grass-fed beef on the pasture land. This building is a carriage house. During the last quarter of the nineteenth century, carriage houses, especially ones ornamented with a cupola, were a sign that the farmer had "made it." These were fairly ostentatious buildings (although they were still functional), and the cupola was claimed to provide ventilation for the benefit of the horses.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Barns of Tompkins County