Created By: Tree Street Area Art Safari
Italinate (?) period style
The area was surveyed by W B Mitchell in 1896 and it is thought that 99 Beach Road was built soon after. The exact date of construction has not been determined as the lot could not be found in available Municipality of Bunbury Rate Books. By 1931, 99 Beach Road was owned and occupied by Richard Lugg. By 1941, Mrs Grosvernor was the owner but no occupant was listed in the rate book. L Johnson owned the house in 1951, at which time it was occupied by Ausden and Prosser. The property has had several changes in street number in 1931 it was 26 Beach Road and in 1951 it was 87 Beach Road.
99 Beach Road was built in 1896, is a single storey, brick, rendered masonry and iron house with an asymmetrical facade designed as an example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The walls are painted brick with rendered masonry quoins. The roof is hipped and gabled and clad with corrugated iron. The gable ends have decorative timber features. The verandah has a separate corrugated iron roof and is supported by timber posts. A fabric awning encloses the verandah. The front door has fan and sidelights and is under the verandah with decorative iron brackets to the verandah entrance. On the left side the front room protrudes with two double hung sash windows with modern security screens installed. The front façade has two circular rendered features. There are two rendered masonry chimneys with chimney pots evident. There is a corrugated iron lean-to to one side of the house and a steel post and mesh fence to the front boundary line.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Back up 1-30-17 at 8:35 AM - Tree Street Art Safari Architecture Tour - Copy