Created By: Visit Madison, Inc.
309 E. 5th Street, Greek Revival. Constructed in 1850 this served as the AME Church until 1926. It was a Pilgram Holiness Church from 1926 until 1943. Around the corner is a little shotgun house that was the Methodist Episcopal Church. It was formed in 1844 by the free blacks who split off from the Wesley Chapel.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Churches Walking Tour