Arndt’s Machine Shop

Wander Round Ritchie

Arndt’s Machine Shop

Edmonton, Alberta T6E 1N2, Canada

Created By: Elyse Colville

Information

10131 81 Ave

In 1928, Ted Arndt opened his blacksmith shop on this site. The area was a center for blacksmiths; five others operated within a few blocks radius, including Minchau's. The shop's proximity to the Strathcona CPR station proved advantageous as industrial development and opportunity flooded into the area. Arndt may have arrived post-WWI with other German immigrants who made up the second wave of German settlement in Ritchie. In 1940, Arndt commissioned the construction of the arched building that stands today. By the early 1950s, Arndt's pivoted his career from a blacksmith to a mechanic.

This point of interest is part of the tour: Wander Round Ritchie


 

Leave a Comment

 


 

Download the App

Download the PocketSights Tour Guide mobile app to take this self-guided tour on your GPS-enabled mobile device.

iOS Tour Guide Android Tour Guide

 


 

Updates and Corrections

Please send change requests to changerequest@pocketsights.com.