Created By: Preservation Greensboro
Located in Greensboro’s Fisher Park neighborhood, this Colonial Revival residence prominently sited overlooking Fisher Park was constructed around 1913 for Edgar D. Broadhurst, a Justice of the Peace and superintendent of public schools. Evocative of early American architecture, the design of the Broadhurst house was inspired by blending Georgian and Federal architectural features. Borrowing from Georgian architecture are robust Tuscan porch supports and oversized dormer windows, the centermost featuring a Palladian window. Federal elements include a main entry flanked by sidelights and topped with a delicate fanlight. The front door is topped by a classical with a wrought iron balcony. Later owners of the residence include William D. Meyer of Meyer’s Department Store, and Joseph Guill, vice-president and engineer of Starr Electric Company.
This splendid Colonial Revival-style blends Federal and Georgian architecture of America’s founding period for design inspiration. Interest in the style was generated in part by the Philadelphia Centennial of 1876 celebrating the country’s 100th birthday. The Colonial Revival style took certain design elements—front façade symmetry, front entrance fanlights and sidelights, pedimented doorways, porches and dormers—and combined them in a variety of ways. This example is executed in brick and featured fanlights, French doors, graceful metal railings, and a slate roof. The home was completely restored in 1998.
This property was listed as part of the Fisher Park National Register Historic District on 29 October 1991 and locally designated as a Landmark Property 6 May 1997.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Fisher Park Walking Tour