Created By: Duchess Downtown Tours
HISTORIC HOUSE 435 North Sterling Street circa 1905: Dr. Babcock The property on which this house stands was purchased from Martha T. Greig, wife of Francis Sterling Mudd. The house was built by Dr. Babcock around 1905. Dr. Babcock may have built the house as a spec house. Shortly after purchasing the property from Mrs. Mudd, D. Babcock built the house and sold the property to W. Scott Heywood, who used the house as rental property. Heywood converted it to a duplex around 1914. In 1936, Felix H. Mouton, former Lafayette Parish Clerk of Court, bought the house, and restored it to a single-family residence.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Sterling Grove Historic District Tour