Created By: Ithaca Heritage
Originally located at 113 W. State Street, where the State Theater now stands, this building was built ca. 1820 by local carpenter Luther Gere as both a residence and a bank. It housed Ithaca's first bank, a branch of the Bank of Newburgh, named after that Hudson River town. The land was purchased for 10 cents from Simeon DeWitt. The symmetrical five-bay facade with side-gabled roof is typically Federal, but the recessed doorway is a common Greek Revival feature, as is the front-facing central gable. In 1912, several concerned citizens rescued the building from being torn down and arranged for it to be moved--coincidentally, to a lot beside Captain Humphrey's house.
This point of interest is part of the tour: DeWitt Park Historic District