Created By: North Dakota State University
In order to meet the College athletic needs, NDSU needed a suitable building that housed a gymnasium. So in 1931, The Physical Education Building was dedicated as the new athletic building. It had three standard basketball courts and bleachers that could seat 3,600 people. The stage at the north end of the building was built so that plays and performances could also use the building. What is interesting is that the basement had a 16 lap indoor track, rifle range, locker rooms and showers. It was changed to the Bentson Bunker Fieldhouse in 1995 for Art Bunker and Chuck Bentson. Bentson was the longest serving coach in NDSU history, and he coached basketball for 32 years. Currently, the BBF is used by the ROTC and volleyball holds contests here. When the new athletic complex was being built, wrestling and women’s’ basketball both had their contests at the BBF too.
This point of interest is part of the tour: North Dakota State University Walking Tour