Created By: David
127 W. 10th Street
McKecknie and Trask (1923-1924)
Board of Trade Building
Stark Wilson Duncan Architects (2003)
The third home of the Kansas City, Missouri Board of Trade, this 13-story, highly embellished commercial building, characterized by colossal pilasters, triglyphs and medallions, is H-shaped in plan. Joseph A. Bruening, a Kansas City entrepreneur and real estate investor, built this landmark building as “a monument to the phenomenal growth of the Southwest as the world’s greatest grain empire.” When the Board of Trade Building was completed, it was the largest grain exchange in the world. The Board of Trade moved to a new building on the Country Club Plaza c. 1965. The building was rehabilitated in 2003.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Library District Walking Tour