Created By: Sarah Mims
Brinton's Ford was located one mile north of Chadds Ford and saw action as a point of defense by the Continental Army in the Battle of Brandywine on September 11, 1777. Brinton's Bridge, a covered wooden structure one hundred and forty-five feet in length, was built in 1845 at Brinton's Ford by Robert Russell. The stone for the bridge foundation was likely quarried on the hillside to the left. This new bridge gave farmers in Pennsbury Township easy access to Brinton's Flour Mill on the east side of the Brandywine. Extensive improvements were made in 1918, and in 1937 the bridge became the property of the state. Increased traffic, both car and truck, took its toll on the bridge as did Hurricane Hazel in 1956 when the roof was destroyed. The roof was replaced, but the structure was not re-trussed; and in July 1957 a driver ignored the two-ton weight limitation. The resulting damage necessitated the closing of the bridge to all traffic. The question of rebuilding was answered early in the morning of September 19, 1957 when a fire, believed to be of incendiary origin, destroyed the familiar landmark. Today only the stone abutments survive on each side of the Brandywine. The restored Brinton's Mill is the home of the Wyeth family and is now a private road. Proceed north on Brinton's Bridge Road to Pocopson Road.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historic Bridges of Chester County's Lower Brandywine Creek watershed