Created By: Anne Steinert
The Carew Tower was built in 1930 by local developer Thomas Emery and Sons. The ground-breaking multi-use building included a department store, hotel, offices, parking garage, shopping, and multiple restaurants. The entire complex, which took only 17 months to build, was designed by Walter Ahlschlager with Delano and Aldrich (who would go on to help design Rockerfeller Center with a similar multi-use program). The arcade contains multiple examples of innovate use of materials characteristic of art deco architecture including Rookwood tilework and the aluminum leaf ceiling.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Downtown Cincinnati - Anne D. Steinert