Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
505 East Seneca Street, built in 1885-1886
Another building in the Sage family enclave, this home was built for Henry William Sage's sister, Caroline B. Sage Wood. Miller used brick on the first story and shingles on the second story. There are three kinds of spindlework on the streetside porch, and the porch’s orientation accommodates a right-angle entry, which was one of Miller’s favorite devices. Wood occupied the building until 1910. It was subsequently used as an annex to the student infirmary, next door, and later as Cornell’s Environmental Health Laboratories. It is now privately-owned student apartments.
This point of interest is part of the tour: William Henry Miller Lower Collegetown Architecture Walking Tour