Created By: Wichita History Walk
On the west side of the Douglas Street Bridge is a monument to the Chisholm Trail and half of the sculpture "Two Steers" by artist John Kearney. The other half of the sculpture is outside Maize South High School. The bull sculpture is a reminder of the cattle drives along the Chisholm Trail in Wichita from 1872-1876.
In 2017, the Chisholm Trail turns 150 years old. Its name comes from Jesse Chisholm’s trading post on the Little Arkansas River, to the north of the future city of Wichita. His trading route extended from Wichita south into Indian Territory, and as cattle drives from Texas began in the 1860s, his trail was used to bring longhorns to the railroads for shipment east. In Wichita, the trail crossed where the Masonic Home now is located, then north on Seneca Street to Douglas Street. It continued east on Douglas to cattle pens located near 330 S Commerce Street. The longhorns were shipped from a railroad depot north of Douglas near where the railroad overpass is located near Union Station.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Wild West Delano