Created By: Myrtle Creek Historical Society
The building at 139 N. Main is known as the “Citizens State Bank”, sometimes also referred to as “Myrtle Drug”. It was constructed in 1930 and exhibits elements of the Art Deco style popular in that era. It was built to replace the old bank building at the same location since the late 1880s. John Hall, founder of Myrtle Creek, was one of the founders of the original bank. Guy R. Bates managed the bank until his death in 1944.
The building was eventually sold to U.S. Bank and, when U.S. Bank moved to a new building at Main and First in 1947, this building was sold to Ted Rice. Rice moved Myrtle Drug from Weaver Building across street to this new location. Myrtle Drug went through a few changes and eventually closed about 50 years later.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Historical Sites Downtown Myrtle Creek