Created By: Joy Cecil-Dyrkacz
Around 1860 city founder John W. Thomas donated property for use as a cemetery which became known as Willow Branch Cemetery North and South. In 1924, the cemetery was taken over by the City and renamed, City Cemetery.
City Cemetery is believed to be one of only2 of its kind because of its Civil War burial site. In 1865, many severly wounded Civil War Soldiers brought to Thomasville bia rail either did not survive the trip or died soon afterward. Thirty-six of these soldiers, 28 Confederate, 4 Federal, and 4 Unknown, were buried together in the same grave at City Cemetery. They were carefully placed side-by-side in three rows of 12 with identifying markers. This site is open to the public.
This point of interest is part of the tour: The Commerce Walk