Created By: Downtown Ithaca Alliance
106-116 N. Cayuga St. - The Clinton Block Local Historic District consists of the 1829 Clinton House, the 1851 Clinton Hall, and the 1847 Hibbard Block. All three were designed in the Greek Revival style and funded by businessmen Jeremiah S. Beebe, Henry Ackley, and Henry Hibbard. Clinton House was designed by local architect Ira Tillotson and praised as the finest hotel west of the Hudson River. It was remodeled twice, first in 1872 by William H. Miller, who added a mansard roof and new cupola. A fire destroyed most of Miller's additions in 1901, after which Clinton L. Vivian redesigned the building. He recreated the originial roof line but omitted the large cupola found in the original design, while also adding Colonial Revival details, such as the Palladian window in the pediment. The building is best known for its six prominent columns, which are, in fact, oak trees covered by brick and stucco. In 1972, the hotel closed and plans were made for demolition, but Historic Ithaca was able to generate enough money to buy and renovate the building. Clinton Hall was purposely set back from the street so that views of the Clinton House would not be compromised. A "mixed-use" building that featured an auditorium, it was heavily damaged in 1908 but was restored in 1985 by developer Joseph Ciaschi. Hibbard Block was built for Hibbart as a site for his business.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Architectural Walking Tour of Downtown Ithaca