Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
One of the preeminent landmarks of downtown Ithaca, the Clinton House (named for New York governor DeWitt Clinton) was built from 1828-29 by local architect Ira Tillotson. It was originally a hotel, and also held offices. The upper floor were redesigned by prominent local architect William H. Miller in the 1870s. The building is primarily in the Greek Revival style. Today, it houses the New Roots Charter School, offices, and apartments.
The Clinton House is one of local preservation group Historic Ithaca's greatest success stories. The organization has done major rehabilitation and retrofitting work on the building several times since the early 1970s. As part of its efforts, Historic Ithaca worked to ensure that the Clinton House was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. For more on the Clinton House, visit its page on Historic Ithaca's site, or listen to Christine O'Malley explain the many lives this landmark building has known by clicking on the "Play Audio" link.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Downtown Ithaca Architectural Tour