Created By: Bloomsburg High School - Social Studies in Action
The front section of the Columbia County Courthouse was built in the Romanesque Revival style. When the county seat was moved from Danville to Bloomsburg in 1846, the town’s citizens raised private funds to erect the courthouse and jail. The original small brick courthouse had a front portico with six Ionic columns, and a tower reaching eighty feet above the ground. The building has been enlarged three times: rear extension in 1868, expansion to the front in 1891 (with a new entrance and clock tower), and a second addition to the rear in 1938.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Walking Tour of Bloomsburg