Created By: North Dakota State University
Built in 1882, in block 3 of the Highland Addition to the city, one of the highest points in Moorhead which was a sure way to avoid the annual flooding from the Red River Valley stands the Solomon G. Comstock House.
Comstock used the architectural firm Kees & Kisk from Minneapolis, Minnesota to sketch and make the plans for the house. The house is in the style of Queen Ann East Lake style design. It is an eleven room, two story wood frame building, built in the Victorian style architecture. All of the lumber had to be of the best quality and if it was not, it would have to be removed at the contractor’s expense. The house has three fireplaces on the main level.
The property included the whole city block, it had a carriage house, where the family kept three horses, Kitty, Billy, and King. The family also had a buggy for general use. Behind the main house was a separate building called the Ice house, it was used as a cool room for storing food. There were also compartments in there for a wood house, tool room, and a privy room for the hired man and maid.
The house is owned and operated by the Minnesota State Historical Society, and was given to the Society in 1965 by George and Sarah Comstock.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Moorhead Historic Preservation Walking Tour