Created By: The History Center in Tompkins County
Ezra Cornell spent about $100,000 to construct Tompkins County's first public library building in 1863 on the southeast corner of Seneca and Tioga streets. It was completed in 1866. Some of the people who lectured there were Susan B. Anthony, Elizabeth Cady Stanton, and Mark Twain. Cornell University's first commencement took place in the hall of the library in 1869. The building stood until 1960 when it was demolished.
This point of interest is part of the tour: Ezra Cornell Historic Tour